United European Gastroenterol J. 2017 Aug;5(5):742-749. doi: 10.1177/2050640616675220. Epub 2016 Oct 13.
Predicting ADR from PDR and individual adenoma-to-polyp-detection-rate ratio for screening and surveillance colonoscopies: A new approach to quality assessment.
United European gastroenterology journal
C Schramm, I Scheller, J Franklin, M Demir, F Kuetting, D Nierhoff, T Goeser, U Toex, H M Steffen
- Department for Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University Hospital of Cologne, Germany.
- Practice for Gastroenterology Remscheid, Remscheid, Germany.
- Institute for Medical Statistics, Informatics and Epidemiology, University of Cologne, Germany.
PMCID: PMC5548347 DOI: 10.1177/2050640616675220
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Adenoma detection rate (ADR) has been established as a quality indicator for screening colonoscopy. Because ADR is cumbersome to obtain in routine practice, polyp detection rate (PDR), polypectomy rate (PR) and adenoma-to-polyp-detection-rate-ratio (APDRR) have been proposed to estimate ADR. This study aimed to evaluate APDRR in order to estimate ADR (ADR
METHODS: Average risk screening and surveillance colonoscopies from a community-based private practice and a tertiary academic hospital setting were retrospectively evaluated. APDRR was calculated as averaged group APDRR for all study procedures (APDRR) and for the first half of study procedures of each gastroenterologist (APDRR
RESULTS: A total of 2717 individuals were analyzed. Using APDRR, significant correlations between ADR and ADR
CONCLUSIONS: ADR for subsequent colonoscopies of an individual endoscopist can be reliably estimated from PDR by using an individually calculated APDRR. Prospective studies are needed to verify this promising approach in different practice settings.
Keywords: Adenoma detection rate; colonoscopy; colorectal cancer; polyp detection rate; screening
- Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Mar;75(3):576-82 - PubMed
- Gastroenterology. 2011 Jan;140(1):65-72 - PubMed
- Gastroenterology. 2015 Aug;149(2):356-66.e1 - PubMed
- Am J Gastroenterol. 2006 Apr;101(4):873-85 - PubMed
- Dis Colon Rectum. 2014 Sep;57(9):1113-9 - PubMed
- Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2014 Jul;12(7):1137-42 - PubMed