United European Gastroenterol J. 2017 Oct;5(6):805-810. doi: 10.1177/2050640616684698. Epub 2017 Jan 18.
Subtypes of chronic gastritis in patients with celiac disease before and after gluten-free diet.
United European gastroenterology journal
Dolores Gabrieli, Fabiana Ciccone, Annalisa Capannolo, Angelo Viscido, Giorgio Valerii, Donatella Serva, Stefano Necozione, Gino Coletti, Giuseppe Calvisi, Dina Melideo, Giuseppe Frieri, Giovanni Latella
- Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences, University of L'Aquila, L'Aquila, Italy.
- Epidemiology Unit, Department of Life, Health and Environmental Sciences, University of L'Aquila, L'Aquila, Italy.
- Pathology Unit, S. Salvatore Hospital, L'Aquila, Italy.
PMCID: PMC5625871 DOI: 10.1177/2050640616684698
BACKGROUND: Celiac disease (CD) often manifests with dyspeptic symptoms and chronic gastritis is a common finding.
AIM: To evaluate the frequency of lymphocytic gastritis (LG), chronic active gastritis (CAG), and chronic inactive gastritis (CIG) in patients with CD, before and after gluten-free diet (GFD).
METHODS: A five-year prospective study including all consecutive patients with a new diagnosis of CD was conducted. Gastric and duodenal biopsy specimens taken both at the time of the CD diagnosis and at the first endoscopic control after 18-24 months on GFD were evaluated.
RESULTS: 213 patients with CD were enrolled. At the time of the diagnosis, 42 patients (19.7%) showed normal gastric mucosa, 34 (15.9%) LG, 67 (31.5%) CAG, and 70 (32.9%) CIG. Out of the 34 patients with LG, all were
CONCLUSIONS: LG is present in 16% of CD patients, it is not associated with
Keywords: Celiac disease; chronic active gastritis; chronic inactive gastritis; lymphocytic gastritis
- Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench. 2015 Spring;8(2):99-109 - PubMed
- J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2008 Nov;47(5):568-72 - PubMed
- J Clin Pathol. 1998 Mar;51(3):207-10 - PubMed
- Am J Surg Pathol. 1996 Jul;20(7):865-70 - PubMed
- Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2011 Jul-Aug;14(4):280-3 - PubMed
- Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2015 Jul;42(2):180-7 - PubMed